Faculty are encouraged to track in Collaboratory Activities related to community-based and community-engaged courses (e.g., service-learning, internships, clinicals, practicas, project-based courses). Data related to these experiences can provide evidence of your teaching that may contribute to your portfolio, and to institutional understanding of our community engagement.
When students enter into Collaboratory their course-based Activities, the Activities become associated with the Faculty of record, who can then share when describing their teaching (e.g., for a promotion and tenure portfolio). The Institution also becomes more aware of the extent and kinds of service across the curriculum.
Consider including an assignment in your course that requires your students to report their activities in Collaboratory. You can insert the paragraph below into your syllabus to formalize the process so students understand what is expected of them, and the process is manageable for you.
Report on your course-based work in community
Students in [course name or number] need to submit their course-required community-based activities in Collaboratory, our institution's software application that organizes all community engagement and public service. You can enter your activity any time after you have identified your community partner, and the work you will do with them.
- Go to [institution's Collaboratory url]
- You will see the option for Students to Proxy Activities. Select.
- Since your activity is associated with this class, enter [faculty member's name] and [faculty member's email] as the Activity Lead when prompted. Including this information ensures that I will receive your activity, and can review it before posting it in the public Collaboratory.
- Enter as much information as you can related to your activity.
- You should only have to enter your data once during the semester. I encourage you to do that early, so if you have questions you can talk to me, and then return to include more information.
- When you submit your activity, I will receive an alert to review and approve your submission.
- You have the ability to edit your activity until I claim it. At that time your editing privileges will be revoked.
- Once approved, your activity will appear on the Collaboratory website, becoming viewable and searchable by the public.
- Your name is not visible in Collaboratory, but is associated with the faculty of record.
Once students submit their activities, you will receive a notification in Collaboratory asking you to review and approve their activities. Once approved, their activities will be linked to your institutional profile, and will serve as useful examples of the activities students complete under your supervision.